• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Intraocular Lens -Practice test question help!

Linda Charlwood

PASSED CCS/Got the job!/wrk frm hme/PUP all day!
Blitzer
Hello,

I have another test question that I need clarification on.....

What is the diagnosis code assignment for contraction of the anterior capsule causing the intraocular lens implant to be displaced following extraction of acataract? The physician uses a laser to repair the torn capsule and repositionthe lens.

A.996.69
B.996.53
C.998.82
D.998.89

The answer they say is B "Due to occular lens prosthesis"
- but I am not sure I agree with that because it says "contraction of the anterior capsule CAUSING the intraocular lens implant to be displaced".
I answered D because I thought that was the "best" of the choices. While I don't really agree with D I definately don't agree with B because of the word "Causing".
Can you explain why B is the correct choice?

Thanks!!!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This post was answered during the November 2012 Q&A Webinar. Your may view the replay of this video, as well as all the replays from the past, when you join the CCO Club. For more information, click here.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Here is the key information from the webinar transcript from this question, answered on the Nov. 2012 Q&A webinar by Laureen:

What is the diagnosis code assignment for contraction of the anterior capsule causing the intraocular lens implant to be displaced following extraction of a cataract?
·A is 996.69 is for infection and inflammatory reaction.
·B was mechanical complication due to ocular lens prosthesis.
·C was for cataract fragments in eye following cataract surgery . And
·D is for other specified complications of procedures.
What was key to me choosing B?
It says lens implant to be displaced. To me, that is mechanical issue going on here. It doesn’t really matter the cause of the choices because A, there’s no mention of infection or inflammation. So we can cross that off. C, there’s no mention of cataract fragments so we can cross that off. So really, the battle was between B – mechanical complication and D – other specified complications. So when we read it again, it’s talking about contraction of the anterior capsule causing the intraocular lens implant to be displaced. So the implant is malfunctioning, it’s being displaced. And that’s why B would be the correct answer, a mechanical complication. And in doing a little research on this, apparently, it’s kind of common.